Monday, February 9, 2009

Winter, Boutique Hotels and Other Stuff




Baby it was cold outside in Boston this past week. I work from a home office and love the features and benefits, which include not having to grate the ice off my windshield for any early morning commutes. I did have to get the scraper out in last Thursday’s frigid temperatures, to venture down to the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel - one of the city’s newer properties – for a meeting. I eschewed the valet parking (at $41 USD – thank you very much), found a meter about two blocks away and hustled along, shivering in the wind. There is nothing like wind off the ocean on a frosty February morning. When I arrived in the lobby, I was chilled to the bone but feeling righteous. Hey, we’ve got an economic crisis going on here…41 bucks to pahk? Gimme a break.

The Renaissance brand is Marriott’s entry into the boutique market. Here on at the Boston Waterfront they have gone with a very cool, contemporary décor with a nod to mid-century design that we often see now. It has a nautical touch and is nice enough; however, I found it a bit stark. Buzz-less. Hotel lobbies can be magical places, bevies of activity and interesting folks up to who-knows-what. But such was not the case. They did whip up a scrumptious hot chocolate though. So there is that – and it steeled me for my walk back to the car. And oh, my meeting with some European tour operators went well.

I returned home to my To Do list and writing up a promo for St. Barth’s Le Sereno Hotel. Book 5 nights – get your 6th night free. Even the beautiful people are looking for a deal these days. I would sure love to stick my feet in the sand of its gorgeous beach – instead of into my Uggs one of these mornings. It’s been a long winter and I’m dying to get back there for some palm trees and sunshine – and ocean breezes of a different sort.

Le Sereno boasts a sleek urban chic décor by French designer Christian Liaigre and although it is an intimate beachfront hotel, it has a cosmopolitan city boutique feel. It really works. Further, I don’t believe there is a charge for parking. Ahem, ahem…Renaissance.

Speaking of boutique hotels, I just received the monthly e- newsletter from one of my favorite websites, Travel Intelligence.com. Check it out, they offer great hotels reviews, with a major focus on boutique properties, nice deals and some great travel writing. No charge.

3 comments:

  1. Connie,

    Like your style, easy reading, you let us in... and all that info too!
    $41!
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the painting of Boston. I live just outside Boston half the year, but head south during the winter. I miss the city, but not the cold or the parking prices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come back Connie! I love your style and I need a new method of managing my 'to do' list. Or at least an excuse to read about someone else and theirs...

    ReplyDelete